A car battery’s primary function is to help start the engine. It also stores energy generated by the alternator, and runs the secondary electrical systems or additional components in your vehicle.
Taking care of your car battery
You can look after and maintain your battery’s longevity by:
- Regularly checking for and removing corrosion.
- Cleaning both the negative and positive terminals.
- Checking the alternator belt for tension and wear.
When should you replace your battery?
If your vehicle is showing any of the following signs, there may be an issue with your battery.
- Your vehicle won't start.
- The vehicle is silent when you turn the key in the ignition.
- Your vehicle makes a clicking noise, but won't start.
- The battery keeps running down.
- The battery seems weak and fails to crank your engine normally.
These are common indications that you may need a new battery or battery connections. If you experience any of these problems, be sure to schedule an appointment with your local Beaurepaires store.
You can also find out more about our full range of car batteries here.